Tenants seek compensation after $1.3 million East Side Tenement fire

Tenants who live in a $1 million East Chicago Tenement building and whose belongings were destroyed by a fire last year have filed a lawsuit against the city and a contractor for $1,331,000.

They are seeking damages from the city for “reckless and intentional acts of negligence, recklessness, and recklessness,” as well as negligence against the contractor, which failed to prepare for the blaze, said the city in a statement Wednesday.

The city also seeks damages for fire and other injuries from the contractor.

Tenants say they suffered medical costs, lost wages and lost personal belongings, and a $2,000 bill for “damages, lost and personal property, loss of income and loss of a home.”

“The city should not have allowed a dangerous fire to consume our beloved East Side tenement,” the suit says.

“The people who live there deserve to be compensated for their suffering.”

Read more stories from Chicago