Posted by The Hacker News team on Thursday, March 24, 2018 01:00:23One of the most interesting and well-known stories in Irish history is that of what was once called the “Vitas Tenement”, an Irish tenement that stood in the centre of Dublin city centre in the late 19th century.
This particular tenement was owned by a prominent and influential Irishman, Sir George Barrington, who was a prominent political figure in Ireland and was involved in a series of land disputes with the local government.
Barrington was born in 1833 and was a wealthy landowner in Cork, the seat of Cork City, and had a number of properties on the outskirts of the city.
In the early 20th century, he purchased several tenements from the Irish State, and in 1921 he sold his share to Sir George, the man who owned the building at the time.
The building was turned into a tenement estate by Barrington’s son, George Barretton, who had a son named George Barreton, Jr.
The house was then given to his daughter, Margaret Barrett, who later married the wealthy baronet Sir Charles Dickson.
Barretton had two sons, Charles, who became a wealthy businessman and also a politician, and George, who remained in politics and became a powerful landowner.
In 1924, Barrettons daughter, Mary, became the first female lord mayor of Cork city.
Barretteon then had his son, William, appointed as the lord mayor in the city, and he became the city’s first female mayor in 1937.
In 1939, the Irish Government purchased a number tenements on the site of the former Vitas Tenements to build a new residential complex for the Irish state.
The buildings, located on the west side of the river, were converted into offices, restaurants, a shopping centre, a post office and a museum.
Barrie Barrettos family owned the properties, and when Barretto died in 1961, the buildings were sold to the National Trust for use as part of its National Heritage Scheme.
In 2002, the original tenements were demolished and the structures rebuilt and turned into the Barrettones New Homes.